Monday, July 30, 2007

Google Labs/Google Base

I'm officially unthrilled with Google Base. Don't see any need for it whatsoever. I'm thinking what content would I need to post for Google users to see? After some thought, came up with nada, zilch, zero. Figure if I needed to advertise our rental, I would be an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy and place an ad in the News Miner. Wouldn't this be more effective than using Google Base? The News Miner's online anyway.

And I wouldn't go through here to buy any product either. Ebay and Amazon are my two top choices, along with some established companies I would search out directly.

Did some searches for my favorite yummy treats: chocolate pudding and rhubarb recipes resulting in hits not so different if I searched through Google itself since limiting the search by cuisine, serving size, main ingredient doesn't refine much.

I felt my techno-Pollyanna spirit wilting! But then Google Labs pulled me out of my Learning 2.0 funk a bit.

One of their latest ideas is displaying search results by time or by geographic location. Viewed Thomas Jefferson and the Civil Rights Movement queries and found that my search results were enhanced by the timeline feature.

No comments: